Saturday, June 16, 2012

My Reduction Surgery: Pre-op and the Big Day!

First, I'll start with my pre-op appointment that took place on June 4th. It was really simple. They did a little blood work and stuff, but mostly I went to a) pay the balance and b) to meet with the nurse and anesthesiologist to discuss what to expect on the day of surgery.
The next day I met with my surgeon, Dr. Woods, just to touch base since I hadn't talked to him since my consultation in February. He told me what he was going to do (and, again, what to expect) and told me he was very confident that I was going to have really positive results and that it would be life changing for me!
A few days later was the day of surgery!!! Because I was going to have post-operative drains I wasn't going to be able to take a shower or wash my own hair or anything for about 5 days. So, the night before, I washed my hair and put it up, and then I woke up at 4 the next morning to take my last shower for a while using the special soap they requested. My surgery was at 7:30 in the morning, so me, my fiance, and my mom got to the hospital for 5:30. They gave me an IV, and Dr. Woods did the markings, and then I was off to the OR!!! I wasn't really nervous until I told my mom and fiance goodbye and they started wheeling me down the hall. Then the nerve REALLY hit me. Thankfully, the nurses there calmed me down and helped me keep my mind off of everything. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me a sedative (or something) that was going to make me a little sleepy. HA!! I was out in less than a minute LOL. I knocked out before they even gave me the anesthesia. The next thing I knew I woke up in recovery, and I didn't even realize that any time had passed (it had been 4 hours). I woke up pretty easily, of course I was a little groggy at first. I stayed in recovery a little over an hour because they had to wait for an empty outpatient room, but I felt pretty good. I had some slight pain, for which they gave me a pain pill, but mostly I felt fine. My mouth was dry and my throat was scratchy from the breathing tube, and all I could taste was plastic. After a little while in outpatient I got up and went to the bathroom, and then they let me go home!!! It took a little longer than usual to do everything, but they said I was doing great. I couldn't eat much the first day, but I didn't really need the narcotic pain medicine until I went to sleep. I took naproxen sodium most of the day, and I had to take a little medicine for nausea. I wasn't groggy at all from the anesthesia thankfully. At 7:00 we had to empty my drains, and I'm not gonna lie- it was not pleasant. I was really anxious, and it was a little painful the first time so I got pretty lightheaded and nauseous. I laid down for a little while, but then I felt fine. I slept on the recliner in the living room so I could stay elevated (even though Dr. Woods told me I didn't need to) and it helped to keep me from turning in the night. I feel so blessed to have had Will and my mom by my side taking care of me and making sure I had everything I needed. It really made recovery a lot easier :)


  1. It's great to have family who can care for you during these things! Glad it seems to all have gone well! Off to read part 2! :)


Tell Me What You Think...