Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Yes, my name is Caroline. No, I don't use a golden calculator

Every time I meet someone new and I tell them my name is Caroline one of two songs will be sung. Sometimes, it's flattering (I guess) but most of the time it's just annoying.

The number one reason it is so annoying is because the first song that comes to mind for many people (especially people my age) is the song Roses by Outkast:



For those of you that don't know this song is about a girl named Caroline who thinks she is better than everyone else, her "poo
" doesn't stink, and is (apparently) a witch with a capital B. OMGosh it's annoying.

However, the other song is much nicer. Most of you (if not all of you) probably know this song- especially from the movie Fever Pitch. Thankfully, this is the song somewhat older people think of when I tell them my name. I don't mind having this song sung to me. In fact, a band dedicated it to me one night when I went to see them play and I was really flattered. If you haven't figured it out the song is Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond:



I felt like this needed to be said. I get tired of everyone singing a song every time they here my name- especially if it's the Outkast song. So, if you meet me and you feel the undeniable urge to sing something please choose Neil Diamond. Now, this is not to say that the Outkast song isn't a decent song. If it were someone else's name in the song I'd like it a lot. But, it's kind of offensive. So stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think...