Friday, August 26, 2011

Common Grounds Cafe

So, I have been wanting to get involved with a college church group around here for a while but I had a hard time finding one I liked. I tried a couple of churches here and there but none of them were "just right." I had heard about The Refuge college ministry at The Chapel on campus but I wasn't sure where it was- or even what it was, exactly. Late last semester my friend started going to The Refuge's services on Sunday nights, and she really enjoyed it! So, she invited me to come along. First, let me just say that the fact that the service was on Sunday night was a huge plus! Anyway, I started going and I really liked it. It reminded me a lot of the church I go to in New Orleans except everyone is college-aged and SO NICE & WELCOMING! I started going fairly regularly, followed them on facebook, and went to a couple of free food nights during finals week. I met a lot of really nice people and I just loved the environment there. Then, before this semester started, they mentioned on facebook that they needed volunteers to work at the free cafe a couple hours a week. I knew that this would be a great opportunity so I jumped right on it! Wednesday was my first day and it was awesome! It's not a hard job at all and you get to hang out with awesome people that have the same beliefs as you do. I've been wanting more Christian friends to relate to, and I think this is just the place to find them. I even ran to someone from high school I haven't seen since I graduated, and it was so nice to catch up! Common Grounds is a great place to go study, hang out, or even just stop in for some free refreshments. They have lemonade, coffee, tea, and great baked goods! I am so glad I was able to take this opportunity. Even though this semester is crazy I have been blessed enough to have enough time to do this. Everyone should go check it out! Open Monday-Friday from 4ish to Midnight... you can't beat it :)

1 comment:

Tell Me What You Think...